Wednesday, March 23, 2011

The Good, The Bad, and the Delish!

Oh woe is me! I believe that my Abuela jacked my camera, so please forgive me for the stock photos I am about to use on these reviews as I have no other options!

 This week I went to my local grocery store, and noticed that they are carrying a few few types of beer that I have never seen available there. Most notably were Duck Rabbit Milk Stout, Fat Tire, Abita Purple Haze, and Leinenkugel's 1888 Bock and Honey Weiss. This diva picked up a six pack of the Abita Purple Haze as well and Leinenkugel's Honey Wiess. I have had beers from both of these breweries and have been satisfied, never having had these two particular brews though I figured they should be worth a try! Lets start with the good! I will admit, I tend to stick with the wheat beers because they tend to be a little sweeter, so both were viable options for me. I had sampled Leinenkugel's Berry Wiess before, and I love it! Its easy to drink, on the sweeter side, but not cloyingly so such as Smirnoffs and the like. I was not disappointed with the Honey Wiess! Slightly hoppy with just a hint of honey in the background, this beer is perfectly suited to have on a warm day like today! Pours a light golden color with minimal head (makes it good for drinking right out of the bottle!) you will get notes of lemon, the wheat, and the honey all which equals to beer satisfaction for this diva!


The bad? Yes, we are talking about the Abita Purple Haze. I was excited to try this one! After enjoying the Berry Wiess and Abita's 'SOS' I figured this HAD to be good! And I was wrong. Purple Haze has the addition of Raspberry pulp, which is supposedly where it gets its name, by giving the beer a haze of purple coloration. The beer poured a very surprisingly orange color (almost like a Blue Moon!) with just a little purple coloration. Smells just like a wheat beer, didn't get any notes of raspberries at all. Tasted like a wheat beer. Now, I know I have said I like wheat beers! Don't get me wrong, I do like them, but I expected something different from this beer! Where's the frickin raspberries?! Alas, I was misled with Abita, and I won't drink the rest of this six-pack, due to its strictly wheat taste (which, honestly, it not a good wheat beer IMO) I'd rather just drink a Blue Moon if I wanted that. Sorry Abita, I'll just have to stick to your 'SOS'!




Are you ready for the Delish? Well I went by one of our local ethnic markets today, our GERMAN market! Oh let me tell you, I was elated when I found this gemstone of a place! They carry all of my mom's favorites, as well as mine! Real bratwurst, knockwurst, gelbwurst (also known as Kinderwurst, as in German markets the deli attendant would slice about 2 or 3 slices for the kids to keep them quiet and occupied as the moms did their shopping), all sorts of European cheeses, Haribo Happy Cola Bottles, and lo and behold, KINDER EGGS! Kinder eggs are German chocolates traditionally with a toy inside for children! However, due to the government in the United States, real Kinder Eggs are not allowed in, due to the possibility of a choking hazard. But what should I find but a bag of green foil wrapped mini Kinder Eggs! Oh happy day! Milk chocolate, with a rice cracker inside, filled with white and dark chocolate these are the ultimate indulgence! So much so that I didn't mind the $6.99, price tag! Now, this diva is off to chill on the couch with my Haribos, Kinder Eggs, and a movie! Til next time!

5 comments:

  1. I felt the same way about the Purple Haze at first. But then I had one that had been sitting in the fridge for a month or so and it tasted a lot better. I could taste the raspberry!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't care for Purple Haze (GASP how dare I not like a Beer from my homestate, oh well) but their Strawberry Festival Seasonal Brew blew me the frick away! You can actually taste the Ponchatoula Strawberries!
    And not a single hint of skunkyness which I'm very picky about, super picky about. So far it's the only "pale" beer I like. :D
    Wish I had better access to beer selections and food markets, but alas I'm stuck in po'dunk.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't been able to grab a bottle of the Strawberry, but I will keep my eyes peeled for it! Its on my list of ones to try! We actually have pretty good access to ethnic food markets here, but if I didn't work for the bar I doubt I would get to try half of the beers I have! Carrie, I will keep one in the fridge for a few weeks based off of your reccomendation, and try it again then!

    ReplyDelete
  4. beer and chocolate! yes, please!

    I am a huge fan of Abita and I can't believe I haven't tried purple haze. strawberry is awesome and i'm also a fan of jockimo IPA but my all time fav is SOS...YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I liked the SOS, want to try the strawberry, but the purple haze is just awful. I tried another one that I had let sit in my fridge since I posted this but it wasn't any better!

    ReplyDelete